What is the treatment process?
As with all of our treatments, the key is to start with a thorough initial consultation. This is to ensure that you understand everything that is involved with your treatment, including the options available, the costs and the full process. Providing you have a healthy mouth that can accommodate the treatment, your dentist will take the following steps:
- They will start by choosing a resin that best matches your natural tooth colour. Often the teeth are whitened first to provide a brighter base colour for the smile, and the composite resin is then matched to the lighter colour.
- Once this has been chosen, your tooth surfaces to be treated will need to be slightly roughened to prepare the surface for bonding.
- A smoothing liquid is then applied that helps the adhesion of the resin (bonding).
- The composite resin will then be applied to the required area(s) and moulded into the required shape.
- Using a blue light (similar to an ultraviolet light) the resin is hardened before undergoing a final shaping.
- The final stage is to polish the resin until it blends seamlessly with the rest of the tooth/teeth.